Deputy Regional Chair Bristol and Exeter
Jessica is a solicitor in the intellectual property team at Stephens Scown LLP and is based in the Exeter office.
With 270 staff and 50 partners across three offices in Exeter, Truro and St Austell, Stephens Scown is a law firm with a regional focus but all the benefits of a big city rival. Legal industry bible Chambers describes the Firm as a ‘dominant force’ in the marketplace, and the Firm features in The Lawyer magazine’s prestigious Top 200 rankings.
Stephens Scown is the first large law firm in the UK to give all eligible members of staff an equal share in its profits. In a sector which has traditionally seen partners alone share in the profits, it is a move which has attracted interest from across the UK – and not just from within the legal profession.
Jessica helps businesses and individuals to protect, exploit and defend their intellectual property assets. This could include advice in relation to copyright, design rights, trade marks and patents and commercial agreements.
Jessica’s recent experience and expertise includes:
- Negotiation and drafting of IP focused commercial agreements such as franchise agreements, terms of service and licence agreements
- Conducting IP Audits to identify the IP created by a business and advice on strategy to protect and effectively commercially exploit those rights
- Copyright and moral right advice – both contentious and non-contentious
- Advice on confidentiality issues
- Advice on brand protection and trade mark strategy, both in the UK and overseas
- Advice on design and patent protection, both in the UK and overseas
- Legal, practical and strategic advice on working with third parties and the impact on a business’ IP assets
- Consumer Rights Act advice and creation of online terms of sale for compliance
Jessica works with clients (to include businesses and individuals) of all sizes across a range of sectors and industries and has worked with clients in the franchising, retail, technology, manufacturing, marine, healthcare, professional services and charity sectors.
Jessica has been a guest speaker at a number of events, and most recently was a guest lecturer for the University of Exeter’s Business School MBA course.
Jessica takes a keen interest in the franchise sector and regularly attends franchise focused events to understand the opportunities and challenges faced by those working in the sector.